Reports to: Executive Director Position
The Bookkeeper position is detail-oriented and will be responsible for keeping financial records, running reports, and tracking a variety of transactions. They will be using QuickBooks accounting software to manage the general ledger and account reconciliation of multiple revenue streams, including grants, contracts, etc. The bookkeeper will support, and may lead, financial operating duties in support of a timely and accurate month-end close and year-end close with a focus on adhering to best practices and effective internal controls in the financial accounting of the Land Trust. They should have a solid foundation of US GAAP and strong financial analysis skills. This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to satisfy the principal functions of the job identified and is not a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in such position. The confidentiality of OCLT affairs must be respected and practiced at all times.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintaining financial reports, records, and general ledger accounts;
• Preparing journal entries, account reconciliations and month end close reports;
• Assists with annual audit review processes and filing activities. Prepares and reviews documentation for external auditors;
• Supports or oversees various accounts payable and expense reporting activities, including annual 1099 and 1096 reporting.
• Reconcile Form 941, W-2 and W3 with payroll records. Maintains strong internal controls including timely preparation of account reconciliations.
• Contributing to the development and review of annual operating budgets and performance projections;
• Ensuring work meets compliance with internal controls;
• Meeting processing and reporting deadlines;
• Coordinates and supports program staff and board with financial and accounting related inquiries and tasks, including responding to information requests, reviewing financial statements, and assisting with audits; and
• Accurately maintain a general ledger and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Other
• Communicate effectively and professionally;
• Keep documents organized;
• Excel and use analytical skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills paired with the ability to form and maintain strong relationships with Board and Staff;
• Excellent analytical, organizational, verbal and written communication skills;
• Experience working with non-profits; and
• A demonstrated ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential data and situations with tact, professionalism and discretion.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required;
• 5+ years of bookkeeping, auditing or accounting experience;
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
• Working knowledge of GAAP;
• Strong numeracy and analytical skills;
• Highly organized and detail-oriented; and
• Provides strategic advice to Executive Director and Board.
This is a 1099 position working no less than sixteen hours per month and is most suitable for hybrid work. Some days may be required at OCLT’s office in Mountainville, NY.
Please email a .pdf of your cover letter and resume, as one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name in the subject line.
The Orange County Land Trust, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of board members, other volunteers, contractors and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, board members, other volunteers, contractors, and vendors.